Help us create the Broadband network the Tahoe Basin needs to prosper!
When it comes to having access to fast and reliable Broadband internet, in this day and age it’s absolutely essential in order for the Tahoe Basin to flourish. Unfortunately, for the Tahoe Basin there are still areas around the lake that suffer from below average internet speeds and periodic outages due to inclement weather. Since 2014 the Connected Tahoe Project has been analyzing the Basin in an effort to gain a comprehensive understanding of the state of Broadband in the Tahoe Basin, which unfortunately isn’t a pretty picture. To date, TPC has:
- Forged productive relationships with key stakeholders in both the public and private sectors.
- Conducted speed tests in an effort to ground truth service provider’s advertised speeds.
- Mapped out areas of the Basin where internet speeds and service are at it lowest.
In order for us to keep the most up to date information on the state of Broadband internet from around the Tahoe Basin we need to hear from you! By taking our SPEEDtest and one, or both, of our surveys you will be helping us to show local jurisdictions and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) your input regarding factors such as speeds, reliability, and access.
The Tahoe Prosperity Center is now moving onto the implementation phase of the project, meaning we are now working diligently towards physically expanding Broadband infrastructure so that Basin neighborhoods and businesses can begin receiving the quality of service they need to prosper. Currently, our primary initiatives are:
- Getting a Regional Dig Once Policy adopted by all the Basin jurisdictions.
- Identifying gaps in broadband infrastructure through a focused GIS mapping initiative.
- Seeking out all available funding mechanisms to pay for broadband infrastructure.
As Connected Tahoe moves forward, all available technologies and processes for deploying Broadband internet will be considered. You can help by taking our survey and speed test so that we can maintain an accurate picture of the speed and quality of internet in the Tahoe Basin. We encourage you to speak up about your experiences with internet in the Basin by letting us and your elected officials know how you feel. Feel free to give us a shout with questions, comments, and concerns!